Techniques for preparing zucchini-like courgettes.
Courgettes, also known as zucchini, are a tasty summer vegetable that is easily accessible. They're extremely versatile, and there are numerous ways to prepare them. I've answered as many questions as I could about how to cook courgettes and included some of my favorite recipes, including one for sautéed courgettes with lemon and mint.
I earn money as an Amazon Associate by making qualifying purchases. full disclosureFor more information, please read my full disclosure.
Courgettes are frequently abundant in late summer. If you grow your own, you may find yourself with a glut, or an abundance of courgettes that you don't know what to do with.
Fritters, courgette cake, courgetti, stuffed courgettes, chutney, sautéed are just a few of the ways you can use them. Continue reading to learn how to cook courgettes.
Courgettes should not be boiled or steamed. They already have a lot of water in them, and boiling or steaming them makes them mushy.
But don't let that deter you. Courgettes can be cooked in a variety of ways, including:
- spiralize them
- Instead of roasting them, try stuffing them (here's a recipe for stuffed courgettes I recently made at work).
- frying or sautéing - for stripy courgettes, try frying on a griddle pan
- Grilling them whole or in large strips
They're also great in curries, soups, and fritters.
How about marrows?
First and foremost, what exactly is a marrow and how is it related to a courgette? A marrow is essentially a large courgette.
In general, the larger the marrow, the more watery and bitter it will taste, so look for a smaller size if you buy one.
If you have a large marrow, it's worth deseeding it before cooking so you can just eat the flesh.
Is it possible to eat raw courgette?
Yes, you can consume raw courgette. If you're going to eat raw courgette, I recommend spiralizing it into courgette noodles or slicing it very thinly and adding it to a salad.
How to Cook Courgettes
Courgettes do not need to be peeled.
After washing, cut the ends off and cook into slices, half moons, dice, or spiralise.
How to Spiralize Courgettes
You'll need a spiraliser* to spiralize your courgettes. I have a small handheld one that works perfectly. It also takes up little space in the cupboard.
If you anticipate spiralising frequently, larger spiralisers* are available. Spiralizer attachments are also available for some food processors*.
How to spiralize a courgette or zucchini:
1. Prepare your spiralizer and courgette.
2. If using a handheld spiraliser, rotate the courgette while pressing down until the spiralized courgette or courgetti comes out the other end. If you're using a different type of spiraliser, make sure to follow the instructions.
3. Courgette noodles, also known as courgetti or zoodles, can be eaten raw. However, I prefer to pan fry them in olive oil for 1-2 minutes before seasoning with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. A sprinkle of nutritional yeast is also a tasty and vegan-friendly addition.
For future reference, pin how to spiralize courgettes.
How to Keep Courgettes
Courgettes keep best in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Courgettes can be frozen.
Courgettes contain a lot of water and become mushy when frozen and defrosted.
If you want to freeze courgettes (or zucchini), sauté them first (as shown below), cool, and then freeze in portions. Before reheating, defrost completely.
How to Store Courgettes
Courgettes make a delicious pickle or chutney. If you have a surplus of courgettes that you want to preserve, try my spiced courgette chutney recipe.
Using courgettes in baking
Courgettes are also delicious in cakes and muffins. My top tip here is to grate the courgette and then squeeze out as much water as possible with your hands.
Try these courgette muffins or this lemon courgette cake.
Here are some of my favorite zucchini (courgette) recipes:
If you liked this post, you might like my guide to August's seasonal vegetables.
How to Make Lemon and Mint Fried Courgettes
You will require:
- two courgettes
- 2 garlic cloves
- One lemon juice
- Mint leaves, a small handful
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Black pepper and sea salt
1. Halve your courgettes lengthwise.
2. Cut into half moons
3. In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add your sliced courgettes and 2 finely chopped garlic cloves.
4. Stir and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the lemon juice, finely chopped mint, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Save this recipe for later use.
- 2 courgettes, large
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon juiced
- A mere handful Mint leaf finely diced
- Seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- Top and tail the courgettes before cutting them in half lengthwise. Cut into half moons
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Stir in the courgettes and garlic for 10-15 minutes on a low-medium heat. Keep stirring to prevent the courgettes from sticking.
- When the courgettes are starting to turn golden brown, add the lemon juice, mint leaves, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away as a side dish with couscous or pasta.
HAVE YOU EVER TRYED THIS RECIPE?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please let me know by rating and commenting below. You can also notify me via a href="MY_REDIRECT_PREFIXhttps://www.instagram.com/cookveggielicious/" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">span>Instagram/span>/a>, a href="MY_REDIRECT_PREFIXhttps://twitter.com/sneakyvegblog" target="
FREE GUIDE TO VEGAN ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to receive recipes and news directly in your inbox, as well as my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients
This post may include affiliate links. For more information, please see my full disclosure.
*Disclaimer: This is an affiliate link, which means that if you buy something after clicking on it, I'll get a small commission, which I'll most likely use to buy more ingredients for recipes. The cost to you remains constant. Thank you for your support of Cook Veggielicious. full disclosureRead my full disclosure here.
If you find yourself in the position of wanting to hang pictures or a new TV and you desire to add some wall decor to create a more unified and finished look in your room, it is important to consider the preparations required before taking up that hammer.In order to securely hang any heavy items such as
Last updated: 07:06 EDT, 18 May 2021Critics of the television program How to Save a Grand in 24 Hours have strongly criticized a mother who spent £300 per month on beauty products but claimed she couldn't afford to remedy the black mold that was growing in her son's bedroom.Anna Wallace, hailing from
Learn how to stream the latest drama, 'No Return,' starring Sheridan Smith. Looking to watch the captivating holiday drama, No Return, online? Discover where you can find the thrilling series.Strongly following the journey of Kathy (Sheridan Smith) and Martin Powell (Michael Jibson), a married couple
If you're interested in scheduling a doctor's appointment using the myGP app, you'll need to follow these steps on your smartphone:1. Input your mobile number and date of birth. It's important to note that this must be the mobile number you provided when registering at your GP surgery.2. Conduct a