Master the Art of Changing a Radiator Valve with Confidence.
As of June 2nd, 2023, it is inevitable that we will all face the inconvenience of a faulty radiator valve. Whether it be a leak or insufficient heating, knowing how to replace a radiator valve is a valuable skill worth acquiring.
Having worked full-time on radiator installations and repairs for over a decade, I have encountered many issues along the way. Now, I am pleased to share my expertise and advice on replacing a radiator valve with you.
Before you can replace the valve, you must first drain the central heating system by following the instructions from our guide on how to drain a central heating system. If the radiator valve that needs replacing is situated upstairs, it is only necessary to drain the upstairs central heating system.
However, I implore you to avoid any potential flooding risks by draining the entire floor containing the radiator valve and any floors above it, unless you have adequate experience in draining just a single radiator.
If the valve proves difficult to remove, you might have to temporarily remove the radiator. In such an event, it would be useful to refer to our guide on how to remove a radiator.
Once you have successfully drained the central heating system, you can proceed to replace the valve by:
1. Unscrewing the two nuts on the radiator valve with an adjustable spanner.
2. Detaching the valve from the pipe and radiator. Note that if there is no movement in the pipe, you might have to lift the radiator on one side.
3. Reusing the old nut on the pipe with the new valve or removing the old olive with olive cutters if you want to be set on using a new nut.
4. Using the nut on the radiator tail to fit the new radiator valve. If the nut on the new valve is the wrong size, you will have to replace the tail using an appropriate spanner or allen key, depending on the type of tail.
5. Tightening both nuts after fitting the new valve and refilling the central heating system by following the instructions from our guide on how to refill a central heating system.
If you want to replace the valve tail, you must first remove the radiator valve and then use an adjustable spanner or large hex key (Allen key) to turn the valve tail anticlockwise until it detaches from the radiator.
Next, wrap the new tail with PTFE tape, making at least 15 wraps before screwing it back into the radiator and tightening it with the adjustable spanner or hex key until there are no more visible threads on the tail.
If you find yourself in the position of wanting to hang pictures or a new TV and you desire to add some wall decor to create a more unified and finished look in your room, it is important to consider the preparations required before taking up that hammer.In order to securely hang any heavy items such as
Last updated: 07:06 EDT, 18 May 2021Critics of the television program How to Save a Grand in 24 Hours have strongly criticized a mother who spent £300 per month on beauty products but claimed she couldn't afford to remedy the black mold that was growing in her son's bedroom.Anna Wallace, hailing from
Learn how to stream the latest drama, 'No Return,' starring Sheridan Smith. Looking to watch the captivating holiday drama, No Return, online? Discover where you can find the thrilling series.Strongly following the journey of Kathy (Sheridan Smith) and Martin Powell (Michael Jibson), a married couple
If you're interested in scheduling a doctor's appointment using the myGP app, you'll need to follow these steps on your smartphone:1. Input your mobile number and date of birth. It's important to note that this must be the mobile number you provided when registering at your GP surgery.2. Conduct a